Au Revoir (french); Tot ziens (flemish); Sayonara and Aloha L.A! ______________________________


Hi everyone!

As most of you know, Ray has accepted a 2-year assignment with Toyota's European Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. For those of you who do not know, Belgium is located next to France, Germany and the Netherlands. The home of NATO and the European Union, it is considered the "gateway to Europe" with its easy access to many European countries. (Hint, hint--good excuse to come and visit!)

Ray started his new position in February, 2008. The girls and I arrived here in late March. We are living just outside the city of Brussels in the commune of Tervuren, Belgium.

Although we are sad to temporarily leave our family and friends, we are excited for this adventure. What an opportunity to leave our tiny box and experience life outside of America!

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Exploring Brussels



A Sunday with no plans on the agenda doesn't come up too often, so I decided to take full advantage and head out to explore the city.


First, I ditched my Prius for public transportation. For 4 Euros ($6), you can get an unlimited day pass for trams, buses and subways within Brussels. I started from the Tervuren tram station and headed towards the city. "Central Station" sounded like a good place to start, so I got off the subway and headed upstairs.





First thing I came upon was "The Mercedes House", a combination boutique shop, museum, showroom and cafeteria all in one. I checked out their displays, including a rare C111, which was a show car from the 70's that used to be state-of-the-art and something I used to drool over... Looking at it now, it almost looks like something you could put together in your garage with hardware bought at Home Depot. What a letdown! :(







Stopped at a brasserie (cafe), sat at an outside table and did what the other Belgians were doing: order a beer and people watch.





I started to get hungry, so I looked at the menu, flagged down a waitress, and with my 3 months of French lessons behind me, I POINTED at something on the menu!!!






Luckily, what showed up was a Belgian version of a Cobb salad. And it was probably one of the best meals I have had since my arrival here. A cold Stella Artois beer, freshly baked rolls, a tasty salad and a beautiful afternoon.



All that was missing were my girls, and it would have been perfect.

No comments: