Au Revoir (french); Tot ziens (flemish); Sayonara and Aloha L.A! ______________________________


Hi everyone!

As most of you know, Ray has accepted a 2-year assignment with Toyota's European Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. For those of you who do not know, Belgium is located next to France, Germany and the Netherlands. The home of NATO and the European Union, it is considered the "gateway to Europe" with its easy access to many European countries. (Hint, hint--good excuse to come and visit!)

Ray started his new position in February, 2008. The girls and I arrived here in late March. We are living just outside the city of Brussels in the commune of Tervuren, Belgium.

Although we are sad to temporarily leave our family and friends, we are excited for this adventure. What an opportunity to leave our tiny box and experience life outside of America!

Friday, February 15, 2008

Curious observations of Belgium Life

Living in Belgium has been quite the experience, even after only 3 weeks! From the eyes of this California native, things here are just different. Not better, not worse, but only different. Every day I look forward to finding a new discovery about my surroundings. People from home always ask me "what's it like over there?" Well, here's my list of curious observations so far...


1. "You want me to bag my own groceries??" - Supermarkets in Belgium do not offer to bag your groceries. In fact, they don't even offer free BAGS!! Instead, the cashiers sit on these neat little stools, scans your items and watch YOU bag groceries. Its up to you to bring in your own plastic bag or canvas tote. I never seem to have a bag with me, so I usually just toss it back into the shopping cart. - - Which reminds me: To get a shopping cart, first you must put a coin into this little lock that secures it to the cart in front. The money stays in the lock until you return the cart to the collection area and chain it back to the next cart. It's a great idea because you never see a parking lot full of carts all over the place, rolling towards your brand new car...



2. No ice - anywhere - When ordering a drink in a restaurant, or even when using the soda fountain machine, you are struck by the fact that there is no ice anywhere. (My office mates tell me it's cold enough here to keep your drink cold).



3. Ground floor = "0" - Coming down an elevator, I always forget that the Europeans consider the ground floor as "0". The 2nd floor, as we Americans know it, is actually the 1st floor here in Belgium. Needless to say, I'm not the most popular guy on the elevator when I push 1 instead of 0...


4. Quit your whining America! Your gas is cheap - Try $8/gallon for unleaded regular in Belgium! Come see what its like to fill up only HALF of a tank of gas into a Prius and getting dinged $60 (like I did today - Thank god Toyota is picking up my gas bill!)


5. Get hi-speed internet anywhere in the house - The cable TV guy gave me this little device that provides high speed internet from any electrical plug in the house. You just plug it in and instant internet access. Yeah, yeah, I know wireless routers do the same thing (without the cord), but I still thought it was cool...



Anyways, I am sure this list will continue to grow as the days go by. But it does make this assignment interesting. Stay tuned, I've got more coming...

No comments: