Au Revoir (french); Tot ziens (flemish); Sayonara and Aloha L.A! ______________________________


Hi everyone!

As most of you know, Ray has accepted a 2-year assignment with Toyota's European Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. For those of you who do not know, Belgium is located next to France, Germany and the Netherlands. The home of NATO and the European Union, it is considered the "gateway to Europe" with its easy access to many European countries. (Hint, hint--good excuse to come and visit!)

Ray started his new position in February, 2008. The girls and I arrived here in late March. We are living just outside the city of Brussels in the commune of Tervuren, Belgium.

Although we are sad to temporarily leave our family and friends, we are excited for this adventure. What an opportunity to leave our tiny box and experience life outside of America!

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Tromso and the Borealis



As part of my assignment in Europe, I am required to make periodic "housecalls" to my assigned Toyota distributor, to make sure that everything is OK with them and to lend a sympathetic ear for any problems. Luckily, I am responsible for Toyota Norway, where the people (and staff) are easy-going and friendly and they don't have a whole lot of Toyota or Lexus problems.

Last week, I made my second trip to Toyota Norway, but this time to a Lexus dealer in the northern city of Tromso. Located about 1,300 miles from the North Pole, I was pleased to find out that Tromso was not as cold as I was expecting it to be (about 42F in the afternoon - not bad!)

But most importantly, Tromso is known as one of the best places in the world to view the Aurora Borealis, or Northern Lights. In the winter months, tourists come from all over the world to witness this spectacular light show. Tour buses head for the outer reaches of the city (Tromso is mostly located on an island) to find the best spots to view the borealis. But, lucky me! I just happened to glance up at the sky and witnessed the borealis as my Norwegian colleagues and I were walking back from dinner! It appeared as a "dancing" ribbon of bright emerald green against the black sky for just a few moments. Then it was gone...

I stayed outside for another half an hour to see if I could catch a replay, but it was gone for the night. They say you are lucky if you able to see it during your first outing, so I guess I won't press my luck.

But it sure would be cool to catch another glimpse. I guess I'll have to come back in a few months to see the borealis, I mean, to see Toyota Norway again...

1 comment:

Ray and/or Jo said...

I'm SOO jealous!! We want to see it, too!!