Au Revoir (french); Tot ziens (flemish); Sayonara and Aloha L.A! ______________________________


Hi everyone!

As most of you know, Ray has accepted a 2-year assignment with Toyota's European Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. For those of you who do not know, Belgium is located next to France, Germany and the Netherlands. The home of NATO and the European Union, it is considered the "gateway to Europe" with its easy access to many European countries. (Hint, hint--good excuse to come and visit!)

Ray started his new position in February, 2008. The girls and I arrived here in late March. We are living just outside the city of Brussels in the commune of Tervuren, Belgium.

Although we are sad to temporarily leave our family and friends, we are excited for this adventure. What an opportunity to leave our tiny box and experience life outside of America!

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The World's Largest Auto Show

The Frankfurt Motor Show is also known as the largest auto show in the world. In fact, it's so big, they only throw it every other year...



It's not every day you can go to the World's largest auto show, so I decided to take a day off from work and make my way to Frankfurt, Germany. Normally a 4-hour drive from Brussels, instead I opted for a $228 roundtrip ticket on a high-speed train to Frankfurt.



It all sounded good until you account for all the stops along the way. After all that, it only saved you an hour to get there. (If you count the time it took me to get from Frankfurt station to my hotel, well, lets just call it even!!!)

Logic says that a Tuesday afternoon at the auto show should be relatively empty. But, I forgot to take into account that this is "car-crazy" Germany! The place was absolutely PACKED!!!



I have been to the LA Auto Show on what I thought was a crowded Sunday - it's nothing compared to the crowds at the Frankfurt show.





Anyways, I saw some interesting vehicles, that I wouldn't mind having. Like this really cool VW van/camper (the girls would just love this...)



And also some really nice classic Mercedes convertibles (they sure don't make them like they used to...)



I even tried my hand at some German 4-wheelin'...



And I wondered why would anybody want an Oscar Meyer wiener when you can have real German bratwurst?



All in all, it was an interesting day and something to check off my "bucket list." But, I think I just made my first and last trip to the Frankfurt Motor Show....

No comments: